What does portable mean?
Portable means, that you do not have to install Royal TS to use it. You just put in your memory stick and start Royal TS from the memory stick – without installing it.
To make a portable version of Royal TS V2 you need to download and install it once. After you’ve installed it on your computer it’s a very simple procedure to make it portable:
1. Copy Royal TS V2 to the new location (memory stick, external drive, etc.)
Copy the contents from the Royal TS V2 installation directory to the new location.
By default Royal TS V2 is installed in %ProgramFiles(x86)%/code4ward.net/Royal TS V2
Note: Do not move the files to the new location. After you’ve copied the files to the new location, you may uninstall Royal TS again, since you will the start it from the new location.
2. Create a configuration folder
Royal TS needs a couple of configuration files. By default they are stored in the users profile directory. Since we also want to have our settings wherever we go, we need to create a new configuration folder in the new location where we copied the Royal TS files.
In the folder where RTS2App.exe was relocated, create a subfolder called with the name config
3. Change configuration path
In the new location, open the file RTS2App.exe.config in notepad and search for the following text:
change the line above to:
4. Copy the configuration file to the new configuration folder
Go to: %APPDATA%/code4ward and copy the file code4ward.RoyalTS.UserPreferences.config to the folder you created in step 2.
Royal TS is now portable!
Things you should know
While the above works well in general, there might be the one or the other issue:
- Royal TS V2 needs the .NET Framework 4 (Full Profile) and the setup installer makes sure that it’s installed before it proceeds. The portal version doesn’t have a check like this, so you have to take care and make sure that .NET Framework 4 is installed otherwise Royal TS will not work. Take a look at our System Requirements page for more information.
- File associations are created by the installer. Since you do not install Royal TS when you use the portal version, double-clicking a .rtsx file may ask you to specify the application you want to open for the file. The Windows Explorer allows you to remember the setting and the next time you double-click a file it will open the application from your portable location.
- Uninstall Royal TS using the Control Panel after you made your portable version. This avoids that the “original” ”non-portal” version is opened when you double-click a .rtsx file.
- When you want to upgrade to a newer version of Royal TS, install it on a computer, execute step 1 from above without overwriting/deleting the config folder in the portable location.
- When you start Royal TS the first time from the portable location you may have to re-enter your license information.